Monday, April 28, 2014

1838 Spring Green Ballgown

So the biggest, most expensive project I've ever undertaken is done! This gown was my contribution for the Hopeless Romantics group for the April Gaskell Ball. Our theme was the entire romantic period. but most people stuck to the 1830's. I was on the later end of the group.
The Facts:
Era: 1830s
Materials: silk taffeta, cotton twill, cotton cord, silk thread, steel bones
Cost: too much, but I'm guessing around $300
Time: I lost track but it was a lot
How accurate is it: 60%. I used a sewing machine and serger on this, as well as machine eyelets and totally modern linings. 


Oh the hair. I did an Apollo's knot using all my natural hair but it seems there aren't any decent photos of it. Anyhow, I used all my natural hair and some wire and almost all my hairpins. I just winged it because it doesn't show in my inspiration pic. The curls stayed intact even after dancing thanks to LottaBody. The flowers are a random assortment of spring silk flowers from the craft store with some branches. Cameo is a family piece. The gloves I'm wearing are from Lacis. 

The inspiration
Pretty much the only departures I took from this pic was that the dress is green, has lozenges, and a plain skirt.


photo credit: Natalie


A rainbow of floofiness

Shoe pic! photo: Vivien
I can safely say that I fully broke in my Gettysburgs. They're great for dancing but after a night on my feet in them I will definitely be putting in some arch support.


All the ladies in green!

The whole group as cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment