Thursday, May 28, 2015

Costume College Outfit Lineup

I have a LOT of outfits planned for Costume College this year. I don't know how it's all going to get done in time. I'm making more 18th century things than anything else, mainly by virtue of laziness and wanting to do minimal hairstyle changes. Saturday is my 18th century day, and it's looking like the Ice Cream Social might go 18th century as well. I'm going to break down my plans by day and events:

Thursday: Pool Party
1870s bathing suit for the Victorian bathing suit group. I'm going to be making the ruffly one on the left, and a cap. Bathing slippers will maybe happen if I have the time. I'm planning to use the 1870s suit pattern from Ageless Patterns. 

Friday: 
Before Lunch: Downton Abbey maid costume
Another group! Pretty simple, pretty easy. Using a Butterick pattern, most likely with some modifications. I'm planning to change into street clothes for my limited class in the afternoon, which I am super excited about. I'm taking Abby's class on 18th century hair care and hair styling, and I don't want to waste the work I do in that class by dismantling the hairstyle after the class to change into my 1850s ball gown. 

Ice Cream Social: Unknown 18th Century outfit
No idea yet what this outfit is going to be. It's probably going to be a floral cotton caraco ensemble, or the new Larkin and Smith pattern, depending on budget. 

Saturday:
Day: 18th century Anglaise retrousse 
I picked up this great silk brocade at Delectable Mountain in Vermont. Totally lucky find, this stuff is F-A-N-C-Y, and I got it for less than half of what it's worth. I'm making it into an anglaise (drawn up because I only have 4 yards) with a solid petticoat, probably trimmed to hell in organza. Petticoat will most likely be pale yellow. I'm also going to make a big ass frilly cap to go with it. Basically I want to look like he 18th century threw up on me. 

Gala: Blue Anglaise 


For the Gala, I'm going a bit more simple and elegant, rather than over the top frilly. I'm using a dress from Snowshill Manor in Patterns of Fashion as my inspiration, although given my frustration with scaling patterns, I'm probably just going to modify the JP Ryan anglaise. I bought an iron pleating punch on Etsy that Natalie is test driving right now. I'm gearing up for so much punching and gathering. I've got a great silk taffeta from Mood that's in between a steel and powder blue, and really shines under low light. 

Sunday: 
Street clothes OR late 1830s day dress

I have fabric and a plan for a cotton 1830s dress with bishop sleeves, which is a time-allowing project. I'm pretty comfortable with the Truly Victorian 1830s dress pattern at this point, so it's a quick project that can be squeezed in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment